About Me

My photo
Go out with you? Why not... Do I like to dance? Of course! Take a walk along the beach tonight? I'd love to. But don't try to touch me. Don't try to touch me. Because that will never happen again. "Past, Present and Future"-The Shangri-Las

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Con, Man

Sorry it's been so long between posts. I'm moving, I'm trying to get a job in NC, and I'm writing this in V. Richards, which is continuing its proud tradition of neither knowing nor caring how to turn its alleged wireless on, so who knows when I'll get to post this (my omelet is yummy though). I'm back in the 'Ham as I write this, trying to sell a bed and take care of those last few details.

Anyway, the comics con involved me meeting Jaime Hernandez, Tom Spurgeon, Colleen Doran, and a slew of artcomix movers and shakers. Jaime was particularly approachable, and I am now the proud owner of a sketch of his main character, Maggie (Maybe I'll scan it later for your enjoyment. More likely I'll just take a badly lit photo of it and post that).

Here's the story of the sketch... Laurie told me that an old friend of hers was a big Jaime Hernandez/Love & Rockets fan, and always tried to do her hair like Maggie's from the comic. So we got Jaime to draw Maggie doing her hair. I
I just about busted out crying, to see Jaime Hernandez drawing for me. For a lousy $20! His sign read
(quoting from memory):

"quick sketches: free

nice pencil sketches: $20

Other people's characters: $40

Johnny Ryan's characters: We Pay You"

No comments: