About Me

My photo
Go out with you? Why not... Do I like to dance? Of course! Take a walk along the beach tonight? I'd love to. But don't try to touch me. Don't try to touch me. Because that will never happen again. "Past, Present and Future"-The Shangri-Las

Saturday, February 14, 2009

From Appalling to Appolonian

From "A Lexicon For Available Light" by Susan Sontag, an essay on the work of choreographer Lucinda Childs:

"Childs's conception of dance is Apollonian: dance should be lively, playful, joyous. Beauty equals power, delicacy, decorum, unaffected intensity. What is ugly is timidity, anxiety, demagoguery, heaviness."

I'm working on an audition piece from Shakespeare's Tempest in which I play Prospero. I find that I'm leaning towards demagoguery and heaviness, shot through with timidity and anxiety. Power, delicacy, decorum and unaffected intensity shall be my watchwords.

No comments: