About Me

My photo
Go out with you? Why not... Do I like to dance? Of course! Take a walk along the beach tonight? I'd love to. But don't try to touch me. Don't try to touch me. Because that will never happen again. "Past, Present and Future"-The Shangri-Las

Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm a Bad Theatre Community Member

I never give people static about missing my shows, because I miss shows all the time. But this time I was gonna go! Saturday I was going to go see a local production of one of the Great Plays of the 20th Century. I was really ambivalent about seeing it. I want to see a production of this show; I've never seen it and only read the script last month. I liked it a lot and was curious how some of its peculiar moments could be staged. But this production stars someone I reeeeeeeeeeally don't like. I'll save the tale for later, but suffice it to say that while I'd help her out of a ditch or pass her the potatoes should the situation arise, the idea of paying attention to her for two hours really upsets me at the intestinal level. Further, the director is talented and a chum, but I always find his stuff a bit lugubrious. This is a show that could be really deadly if it's played heavy, and this guy plays it heavy. He's a substantial talent, I respect and like him, but getting me to his shows takes some prompting.

So I spent much of Saturday hanging out with a friend, and let the time get away from me. by the time I thought to ask the time it was too late to catch the show, so I decided to catch the Sunday Matinee. I spent a good chunk of Sunday cleaning my apartment, really vigorous work, moving stuff around, stirring up dust. Tiring work. Had to take a nap. I just couldn't have dragged myself into a dark theatre to watch a gloomy play, no matter how fine the script and worthy the production. I feel guilty, since I'm aware of how much work they must have put into it, but I accidentally on purpose eased myself out of going. I still want to see a production of it; just a different one.

No comments: